Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Bringing Home The Wild Swans

 My obsession with The Wild Swans started in 1988. I remember buying the cassette version of "Bringing Home The Ashes" together with The Grapes Of Wrath's "Treehouse". Playing the Warner debut during the summer of 1989 etched into my mind the beautiful landscapes of England while I was actually lying on a beach in our hometown in the Philippines. We also played the album while enjoying the sea breeze on top of a wooden watch tower with an old cassette player. Ahhh so much memories of our youth :)   

Here are some of my CD collections from The Wild Swans:
Item #1 : The Wild Swans - Music and Talk from Liverpool
 This is a promo only CD for the Warner debut "Bringing Home The Ashes". Some talk about their hometown and the "Revolutionary Spirit". It was fun listening to the interview. I have not listened to this for a long time as I don't want to crease the CD with my fingerprints. It is quite rare now.

 Item #2 : The Wild Swans - Magnitude
 This is a 2 CD compilation of the two Warner albums. It is said to be remastered but I have not compared the sound that much from the original CD releases. I noticed the swan logo on the cover is scanned from the "Music and Talk" CD and retouched digitally. If you look closely, the edges of the swan has minor pixelation. Nevertheless, this is a great collectors item. 

 Item #3 : The Wild Swans - Bringing Home The Ashes
Very iconic album art. This is the 1996 Philippine release on a white colored disc. I was very happy when this was released for the first time on CD in the Philippines. I was not able to get hold of the USA release as I had some bad experience with Warner CD releases in the 80's. Some of them already have holes in the silver coating. A friend who has the USA version have holes on the disc. Incidentally, this album was produced by Paul Hardiman, who also produced the great debut from Lloyd Cole and the Commotions, "Soul Mining" by The The and "...From Across the Kitchen Table" by The Pale Fountains.

 Item #4 : The Wild Swans - The Platinum Collection
Philippine compilation of the Sire/Warner tracks released early 2000's. The disc has better quality printing than the label. I think this photo is taken from the internet, as I also have an image of this poster saved on my computer. Notice that the swan logo is not the official logo for the Sire years. I wonder why they did not simply reissue the 1996 release. Maybe the Japan CD reissue in the 2000's already has sole distributorship for the original debut album. Still a great addition to the Wild Swans collection. 







I'll be featuring my Wild Swans vinyl and cassette collection at a later time...

No comments:

Post a Comment